War Diaries Talk

Missing diary page(s)?

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi, I have been dutifully tagging 21st Field Ambulance, 7th Division for months and it's just jumped from 31/5/16 to 11/6/16 - just wondering whether I can get to see the missing entries or have I done something wrong?

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Mike

The way the system works is that each page is presented to 5 individual taggers and once 5 people have seen it then it's removed from the system. For reasons I don't completely understand you sometimes find that a few pages in the middle of a diary will already have been seen by 5 people (maybe they skipped over some earlier ones or didn't tag them right or some other reason). So usually when this happens it's because you were one of the 5 taggers for the 31/5/16 page and then the next two or three pages had been tagged by 5 already and then you get back to the page for 11/6/16 and you are again one of 5. Sometimes pages are missing but not usually and we can always check for you if you post here.

This particular diary is showing up as 59% complete which means that 59% of the pages have been tagged by 5 people. It does indeed look as though you are on the edge of being the 4th / 5th tagger for the part you are at. Don't worry you only missed the cover page for June and one other page (and it was nearly all about inspections!) but I'm afraid it's not possible to see them.

Hope this helps

Heather

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to stoat11's comment.

I am tagging 21st Ambulance too - I am up to October 1916. So maybe I am snatching pages away from you!

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

It's a shame the Diary can't stay whole till all pages have 5 taggers. It's unsatisfying when you finish a page & find the date entry continues & zap it's jumped a week or they moved or casualty numbers weren't finished etc.Battles are fought on those missing pages,men die but we miss it.I guess I sort of get possessive while I am tagging & hate to miss anything.Must the pages disappear? Is this beyond your control?It would be hard to start the backroom work when so few pages are finished ie without names etc.I look forward to seeing how Christmas was spent but often find that page missing. OK my whinge is over..back to tagging.LOL

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to 141Dial34's comment.

Totally agree...you lose the plot. Seeing the whole story should be a reward for our tagging!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I also agree, but unfortunately this really is out of our control. A condition of our using the digitised diary images is that we can't display them as entire diaries, hence no facility for going back through pages and this is also one of the reasons that each page is processed as soon as the required number of taggers have worked through it.

If there was one thing I could change about the project, this would be it. So sorry, folks, we know it's frustrating and would very much like to improve this aspect of things, but it's highly unlikely to happen.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to ral104's comment.

NP ral ,you make up for it by showing links or posting photos & snippets of interesting info. I have learnt so much since I joined.Thank you.

Posted

• csweett by csweett moderator

Glad to hear that the facebook posts are appreciated! I'll do my best to keep up the daily posts.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Great job, Colin! Plenty of interesting finds so far 😄

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    Many thanks for all the replies. Good to know that it's working as designed 😃

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted