War Diaries Talk

Referring to past diary entries

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

I have only just started tagging the 2nd Cavalry Brigade: 20th Hussars. Their diaries only enter days not months and years and the author just writes his initials no full name - How can I refer back to pages that others have tagged of this Regiment which may contain this information? Thank you Jan

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hm... As far as I know, there's no way to do this with the interface. But others here might be able to help... or I may be able to find some of those pages behind the scenes.

Could you share some of the object URLS of the pages you're talking about? (i.e., http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001txu - although that's just a random one)

Thanks!! 😃

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi Jan. @DZM is right - this isn't easy to do from your computer, but if you let us know which page you're on, we can see if anybody else has already tagged the full date.

Posted

• markbakovic by markbakovic

Alternatively: what are they up to? I'm working on the same diary, and since not much of it has been done I'm seeing late August 1914. I'm not sure why I would see it chronologically and you wouldn't...

Posted

• LinsladeLad by LinsladeLad

I've been working this diary from page 1. Jan is correct, in so far as the diary is written on pages from an officer's notebook, and each day's entry just carries the date. The good news is that there are conventional cover pages at the beginning of each month which provide month/year information.
    I share your frustration on diary author - same initials against each entry, but no name given. I've identified the CO as a Lt. Col. Edwards - so it's not him. I'd guess it's whoever is Adjutant, but no clue as to who that might be. I'd hoped to find an explanation of roles/responsibilities at the end of a month, but nothing so far. FYI- I'm currently at page 155 which is at end of May 1915.

Best regards
    Peter

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks both. Jan, if you're still trying to work out the date, do let us know.

Posted