War Diaries Talk

Nominal Rolls - Casualties

• calvados by calvados

Tagging the 2nd Bn Gordon Highlanders diary I have come across several pages of lists of casualties. These have been tagged with all casualties noted by previous transcribers. Do I need to re-tag these and any subsequent casualty lists that have already been tagged?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

We'd definitely appreciate it if you could! We rely on getting five people to tag each page - we've found it's the best way to reduce errors. These sorts of lists do take a long time to tag, but they're often some of the most important info we can collect.

Thanks!

Posted

• calvados by calvados

Of course, will do.

Posted

Great stuff - thank you!

Posted

• peterr1006 by peterr1006

Not quite the same query as calvados but along similar lines. I am tagging the diary of 2nd Cavalry Division D Battery RHA but am not the first to do so. Previous taggers have made contributions in the comment box e.g hash tagging 'Aeroplane' etc or adding an entry such as "Christmas Dinner postponed until the new year." I have confined myself to making 'new' contributions where I feel they are significant but have not repeated existing contributions. Am I doing the right thing in not repeating the information which is already in the comment box?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Yes Peter you are correct. Hashtags only need adding once (unlike normal tags which work best if added by multiple people). There's no harm of course in adding the same hashtag twice but it's not necessary 😃

Posted

Currently tagging 108 Infantry Brigade 9 Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers. So far I have come across 3 pages which show the Nominal Roll of Officers for Oct 1915, Jan and April 1916. I have tagged all the names on the lists but when I have clicked on the Finished icon there has been a significant delay before the next page appears. On looking back at the recent pages on my profile page these 3 pages are the only ones which have not been been displayed. The comment box indicates that someone else has already tagged all the officers. Does it mean that for some reason these pages have been 'lost' and my efforts have been wasted? Is anyone able to offer an explanation?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Not able to answer your question about your profile pages, 1 of the Moderators may able to. Maybe the system is just taking a long time to portray your pages on your profile.

I am nearly finished tagging this diary that you are presently tagging. I have never tagged a diary with so many Officer's nominal rolls in it, nearly one every month and there are 510 pages to this diary. I have pasted and copied the page links for some of these nominal rolls into my WW1 file and if the Author's writing is not so good, I can refer back to their names.

Also the Author lists casualties for Other Ranks at one point for A B C an D Companies, which amount to about 497 casualties. Lots of men to tag here but it will give those researching this diary some good information as to names etc for Other Ranks. Some dairies do not contain the names of many Other Ranks.

Sometimes when I press the finished button it can take a while to come up with the next page.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble. The first thing I can recommend, if you are still having trouble and haven't done this, is to sign out of OWD, close your browser, and restart your computer. If you have been doing a lot of tagging, you might also try clearing your cache in your browser.

Let us know if you continue to have problems and we'll take a deeper look at it.

Posted

If you could also give us a reference for the pages in question, I might be able to check whether your tags have been logged on the system. I'm sure they will have been - it may just be taking a while to process because of the sheer number of them.

Posted

Sorry for the delaying getting back to you on this issue. First of all I have signed out, closed the browser and restarted my computer as suggested. Too early to say at this stage whether or not this will deal with the problem. Secondly, (only) the 3 pages which have not appeared on my profile page at the end of tagging are:- the The Nominal Roll of Officers for Oct 1915 (page 10 of the Diary) Jan, 1916 (page 35) and April 1916 (page 69). I would be interested to know if these pages have been logged and foursome reason simply not appeared as tagged on my profile page. many thanks for your suggestions and help.

Posted

Hi Peter,

I've just checked through those pages and your tags have definitely been stored. I'm not sure why they're not showing on your profile page, but rest assured your hard work hasn't been in vain.

Rob

Posted

Rob,
    Thanks for the checks you have made. Reassuring to know that my efforts have not been lost. Strangely, having tagged page 70 and moved on I found that page 69, the last of the Nominal Rolls has appeared on my profile page. So all seems to be working as it should.

Posted