War Diaries Talk

Transcription of faint page for 7Div. 8 Btn Deonshire Regiment.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001mx0
    In reply to comment from cgastwein @ aol.com - regarding above page. Could not post this in page comment box - too small to put in, have had to post the transcription here for him.

Transcription of bottom message for you:- " ... (1) Cpt. Hole. The CO wishes you to improve the trench as far as you have gone & make a good strong point but not to dig out any further. The 22 Manchesters are holding the front line and are in Flint? and Porter trench, their original line and you are in front of them. I have warned them of your position. (2( Cpt. Hole I am sending you up 30 boxes of bombs to dump at the Mound. JUPE and FIELD are joining you this morning. (3) We have sent for flares and will send them to you and will get up more water for you asap. (4) If when you have completed the digging you find the line too crowded, will you send back properties to us at HQ. (5) Would you inform CO at once if any enemy movement observed...."

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you, Marie. Very much appreciated.

You seem to be able to read faint pages better than I can. Or else my computer contrast just isn't as good as yours.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Hello, I worked also on this diary. I did keep notes of the men mentioned. On this faint page I really had to zoom in a lot. I posted this message earlier for faint pages. For other faint pages I find the following a great help:- . I am using Windows 7, using Chrome. If you use CHROME you can apply an Extension to Chrome called 'Sheen'. This has enabled me to read some of the diary page, by applying the visual filter option by adjusting the Sepia control bar etc - then really Zooming in. Just go to the following site and enable 'Sheen'. chrome://extensions/?id=mopkplcglehjfbedbngcglkmajhflnjk Hope this can help other people. I must mention that a long time ago, I am sure someone mentioned this site on the talk page.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you, Marie. I'll give it a try.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

A lot of people do seem to find Sheen very useful. Thanks for the advice, Marie.

Posted