War Diaries Talk

PERSONAL LETTER HOME

• DUDONE2 by DUDONE2

I HAVE A NUMBER OF PAGES FROM AN OFFICER WRITING HOME ABOUT AN OPERATION THAT HE TOOK PART IN. HOW IS THIS CLASSIFIED?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Can you give us a link to it so we can see? In the absence of that I'd classify it as a report (especially if it appears at the end of the month as an appendix) but use the hashtag #privatediary so we can find it again easily.

Posted

• DUDONE2 by DUDONE2

Heather The ref is WO/95/1665/1 page 50

Dudley

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

If you could let us know which unit the diary belongs to, or even give us a link to the page, that would be useful. Heather's right, though. It sounds like it should be classified as a report.

Posted

• DUDONE2 by DUDONE2

Heather Just been looking at your prisoner hashtag on this page and i find that image AW 0001oyt is from the same personal diary page 2 that i requested help on.

Dudley

Posted

OK so that's this page http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001oyt

Interesting that so far pages from this small section within the main diary have been variously classified as "diary", "report" and "other"!

I think I'd avoid classifying as "other" because I don't think that lets you tag any names and these pages are full of names, which it would be a shame to lose.

Although it says "private diary" on the cover (and I agree with using that hashtag to make it easy to find in future) it's not really correctly classified as a diary since that's meant for the Unit diary. In fact it reads much as an after-action report would and I'd classify it as a report and then be careful to tag all the names. Hope that helps.

Heather

Posted

• DUDONE2 by DUDONE2

Heather Happy New Year.
    I have a long letter for you, is there a place outside the forum i can send it to.

Dudley

Posted

Not sure what you mean? Send me a PM (private message). To do this click on my name in this post which will open my profile page and then click on the button top left which says "Send Heather C a message" then you can copy and paste in anything you want to send me, or you can explain further what you want to send and we can discuss it privately. Hope that helps

Heather

Posted