War Diaries Talk

rations

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

"Barrage rations" what did they consist of?What was in their normal rations?Iron rations I think are barrage rations.I love all links you put up but can't see any rations.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Can you give us a link to a page where it appears so we can see it in context?

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

no,sorry its long gone.The men were preparing for an attack and were told to have 'barrage rations" i presume as they might not get resupplied.Another diary I read that as men were cut off by enemy they ate their iron rations.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, sounds like they were emergency rations that would have been carried alongside other essentials, like field dressings.

Posted

• brownfox by brownfox

Yes that's correct. I was actually at the IWM on Sunday and as part of the WW1 galleries there's a display of iron rations. Apparently it was a disciplinary offence to eat them unless ordered.

Posted

Thanks, @brownfox. What did you think of the WW1 galleries? I haven't managed to get to see them yet.

Posted

• brownfox by brownfox

Very good, but very crowded - probably our own fault for going on Remembrance Sunday. If anything, it was a bit much to do all at once. It might have been better to split it up somehow.

Thanks for asking

Posted

No problem. That's why I haven't got to them yet - queues are commonly out the doors.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

What did the troops eat exactly?

Posted

Bread, meat and vegetables, although as the war drew on the ration allowance got smaller and meat was often just fat.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Quite a lot of jam too

Posted

Really? I suppose it was a good way to preserve fruit.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Good question about preservation... were rations ever dessicated?

I remember having heard that dessicated rations were a thing as far back as the Civil War, but that was in a novel, so I'm not 100% sure.

Posted

• wildcatjenny by wildcatjenny moderator in response to DZM's comment.

Hi DZM,

I found this article about food for the British Army in WW1 http://www.express.co.uk/news/world-war-1/502452/The-Battle-to-feed-Tommy-The-diet-of-a-WW1-soldier The article mentions dried fruit OR jam as being a part of the daily allowance.

You are correct, DZM, in the American Civil War a staple for the soldiers was "desiccated vegetables". They were put up in blocks and were supposed to be thrown into a pot of boiling water along with fresh meat to make a stew. (Then armies brought herds of cattle with them as they marched off to combat.) The soldiers found them fairly disgusting and called them "desecrated vegetables".

Posted