War Diaries Talk

Casualty List Tagging - Killed or Wounded?

• frazernasharchiveslmb by frazernasharchiveslmb

On my current diary a list of casualties is given at the end of a period of severe engagement, listing 16 officers and 300 ORs. However, there is no indication as to how many of these are K.I.A. or wounded so could you advise how I should correctly tag this. Sorry if this is a common question, but I've search right through the discussion board and cannot find an answer. Thank you. Louise.

Posted

Sorry, I forgot to say that the Officers' names are listed but, again, with no indication as to whether they have been killed or wounded so I would like to know how to tag these names. Thanks. Louise

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi Louise,

No problem - feel free to ask whenever you need help.

In this case, I think it's probably best to tag all the casualties as wounded. Where no details are specified, we'll just have to accept that this might build some inaccuracy into the data.

Posted

Thank you for your help.
    Louise

Posted

Well ... I've just gone back to recommence classifying and discovered that alongside each officer's name, marked in very feint pencil, is either the letter K or W, indicating whether they were killed or wounded. This answers part of my question. Sorry, I didn't notice this before.
    Louise

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

No problem - the pages can often be hard to read.

Posted