War Diaries Talk

Diary or report

• jbainbridge by jbainbridge

A page is entitled Report on Gas Attack. The report takes up the whole page but it is written on a C2118. Should it be recorded as a diary page or a report?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Can you give us a link to it please? It's hard to comment without seeing it!

Posted

WO/95/1617/2 Page 23 of 331

6 Division: 14 Battalion: Durham Light Infantry (19.12.15)

Posted

We still can't see it just from a title. We need an actual link to the page. See http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000g/discussions/DWD0000cx8 for how to do this from your Profile page in the Diary Classification section.

In general if the report is in an Appendix or seems to be separated from the diary itself or does not refer just to the Unit whose diary it is then classify it as a report. If it's actually contained within the narrative of the diary and refers just to the diary unit it may be appropriate to classify it as a diary page, especially if it is split into dates.

Posted

I have read it and I now assume the link to be the code number that begins AWDOOO above each page in my profile. However these only seem to be the pages I have already done. My question refers to the page I am going to do next and I still can't see how to send you that link. The field notes seem to suggest that reports were not written on C2118 forms but don't make it absolutely clear. I was hoping for clarification on that point but obviously my question is not as straightforward as I thought. I suspect it would be perfectly clear to me whether this is a diary page or a report if I was able to look at the page that comes after it but obviously I can't do that. I will probably treat it as a diary page.

Posted

There are two ways to get the page you are on now as a link. For both of them, click to open the comments box (the white speech bubble top right by the finished button)

Then either click on the highlighted link "discuss this page on talk" which starts a new thread with the page image shown on the left hand side of the thread. Or if you've already started a thread and just want to get the link, RIGHT click on the "discuss this page on talk" link, a pop-up will open, click on "copy link location". Then when you write your post here, right click and select "paste" to paste in the link to your page.

Hope that helps!

Posted