War Diaries Talk

Incomplete Diaries

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

Can you please explain why I have been asked to choose another diary when according to Profile only 69% of diary has been completed? 3 Division: 9 Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers has 234 pages and only 162 completed? Thanks Jan

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Jan

I can see that the "69% complete" and the 162/234 pages are from the diary selection page. This bears no relation to how many pages YOU have done.
    Remember a page is only marked "finished" here when at least 5 people have tagged it. So all it means is that 69% of the diary has been tagged by at least 5 people and is marked as complete.

If you look at your own profile on the classify page, what does it say you have personally done on the diary? (follow the profile link from the top of the classify page and it should be in the "your diaries" section) I suspect it will say 234/234 pages... That means you have tagged every page in the diary and so need to pick a new one.

Posted

• emzi1980 by emzi1980

Hi Heather

I like Jan have been informed "Thank you for helping to classify 3 DIVISION: 9 Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. . This diary has now been completed." when I am only on page 208 of 234. This is quite frustrating as there was lots of references to stuff happening and to see the appendix but cannot get to it! is there any way of seeing the remaining pages? Also is there any other way/place of seeing these war diaries as I'm sure that there is more than 1 years worth of diaries for 9th Infantry Brigade, Northumberland Fusiliers as they were active for the whole of ww1 but the diary on here only went up to summer 1915?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

The diary is no longer available from the diary selection page so that almost certainly means it has been completed I'm afraid and therefore you won't get to finish the rest. As I said above to Jan, each page must be tagged by at least 5 people before it is "completed" so it follows that if more than 5 of you have chosen the same diary, you won't get to see every single page.

The war diaries of 1st Northumberland Fusiliers seem to have been digitised in chunks of 12-18 months at a time and that's how they will get put out for tagging. I'm afraid I can't tell you when the next one will come up as I don't know.

All the digitised war diaries can of course be downloaded from the National Archives Website, but it''s not free. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/war-diaries-ww1.htm

Posted