War Diaries Talk

List of war diaries available to tag

• Bmeredith by Bmeredith

Is there somewhere I can see a list of war diaries currently available so I don't have to scroll through all the pages?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Sorry, unfortunately not. The system presents the diaries in random order to ensure we get good coverage with the tagging.

Posted

• tomshayes by tomshayes

I have downloaded and completely transcribed the diary for my grandfather's unit. 9th Scottish (Cameronian) Rifles

I should like to help our Operation War Diary with this particular Diary.

How do i start if the diary is not on here?

Regards

Tom

Posted

Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting involved. Unfortunately, the diary for your grandfather's unit isn't in our tagging queue yet. It will be at some point, but right now I can't really say when that will be. So if it's that diary in particular that you're interested in tagging, I'd recommend just keeping an eye on the list of diaries currently available.

In the meantime, I can recommend tagging some of the lesser known units as a great way to get a sense of the full range of activities that went into supporting the operations at the Western Front.

Thanks,

Rob

Posted

• tomshayes by tomshayes

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the 9th Scottish Rifles diary sometime back and I have fully transcribed it.
    So it's sitting here on the PC ready to go etc.

I will keep an eye out for it from time to time!

If I can find out which unit my dad's dad was with I'd like to tag that one in the meantime..

Regards

Tom

Posted

• fisfiris by fisfiris

To be honest, we do only have a pretty boring selection of diaries to choose from now. I can understand that 'the powers that be' may want to keep it that way to force us to finish these leftovers, but it would be nice to think that those left might get some reward soon for dedication. Otherwise it may only get slower due to further defections

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Have you tried a field artillery battery or machine gun company? Sometimes there are some pretty interesting gems hidden in those diaries.

Posted

• fisfiris by fisfiris

Yes, I've just done a Trench Mortar Battery, but they all have to be done, don't they. Next shot will have to be a Divisional Train - again!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Maybe a field ambulance?

I've been tagging the 1st Field Ambulance (starting on 31 Dec. 1914) and I've just been through several pages that I thought were interesting describing the unit's preparations building up to the Battle of Loos that began on 25 Sept. 1915.

I've also heard that the 8th Mobile Vet. Section is a good one.

Posted

The National Archives are gearing up to release more diaries shortly, so we should see a reinforced diary queue over the next couple of weeks, I hope.

Posted

• fisfiris by fisfiris

That's really encouraging news. Been off for a few days - BT managed to cut off my line while' improving' the service!

Posted

Yes, we should be seeing diaries from the 16th and 36th Divisions.

Your BT issues are quite topical as I've just come from a Divisional Signals Coy diary!

Posted