War Diaries Talk

Not the right diary? QOOH / 6DG

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Some weeks ago I did some tagging of a diary which is described as the diary of the 1/1 QOOH. The cover pages however were headed 6DG. I did highlight this at the time but not sure if anyone picked it up.

Now another tagger has picked up a page of this diary which actually has 6 Dragoon Gds written on the page here http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0000hv9. Can someone from IWM / Zooniverse please check that the diary has not been mislabelled?

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

The National Archives catalogue page for that diary has a link to 'suggest a correction'. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C7351490

I've seen @David_Underdown from the National Archives answering questions here. He may be able to help.

Posted

Thanks. I have submitted a description of what we have found via that link.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

It looks like pages for WO 95/1137/1 (which is 6 DG) have been exchanged for those of WO 95/1137/2 (which is 1/1 QOOH). It's not really a catalogue correction - the description is correct, but the wrong files have been associated with it, so http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/contact/contactform.asp?id=19 would be better (or digitaldownloads@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk). I will bring this to the attention of the project manager direct as well.

Posted

Thanks David that's great. I have a personal interest in the QOOH and will probably be paying to download it at some stage. I'd like to be sure I get the right one! I have contacted TNA direct via your first link as well.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Well if it's still not sorted out when you download it, that link/DigitalDownloads are the people who can authorise a re-download (at no further charge) when it is!

Posted

• blackpoint by blackpoint

Diary I am tagging has a 2 CAVALRY DIVISION: 1/1 (QUEEN'S OWN) OXFORDSHIRE HUSSARS as the unit in the header bar. The scanned diary pages have "of 6th Dragoon Guards" written next to the printed WAR DIARY header. Is this a mis-label? No year or month are present on the pages I am tagging. The units movements are in vicinity of NOYON to the South-East of AMIENS

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to blackpoint's comment.

This is the same error I started this thread with. I did report it on TNA site and got back this answer:
    "Dear HeatherC,

Thank you for your email and the information provided.
    We have been made aware of this error and the WO 95 project team are in the process of correcting this.
    If you come across any more errors please let us know.

Please let us know if you require further assistance.
    Yours sincerely,

Discovery Downloads Direct Team"

So hopefully it will be sorted out.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com in response to blackpoint's comment.

I have been tagging the 2nd Cavalry Division 1/1 (Queens Own) Oxfordshire Hussars also and find the same confusion. Also find when I go to do a diary page, it goes off the screen and comes up with the next one instead. Have other people found the same problem.

Posted

• SarahPowell by SarahPowell

I didn't notice this myself, but someone left a comment on the 2 Cavalry Division: 2 Field Ambulance diary to say they thought it had been mixed up with the diary of the ADMS 2 Cavalry Division. I think this may be the case - several pages around May/June 1915 seem to refer to organisation of all 3 field ambulances of the Division (2nd, 4th and 5th), not just the 2nd.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to sarahloving's comment.

The tagger who noted that potential mix-up started a new thread for it here http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD0000002/discussions/DWD00007r1

Posted