War Diaries Talk

How do I deal with sideways images / duplicated images / negative scans / other issues with the scanning quality?

• lukesmith by lukesmith moderator

There are 1.5 million pages describing the Western Front and a wide range of formats an conditions. Inevitably some will have problems. Please classify these as OTHER and add a #hashtag in the comments area. Current #hashtags for these issues:

We'll grow this list as necessary.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Luke - can you add one for a page which seems to be out of order or in the wrong diary? Maybe misfiled would do it?

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

Please add diaries here if they have been labelled with the wrong unit too. eg. 1/1 QOOH and 6DG from WO 95/1137 seem to have been exchanged here: http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD0000002/discussions/DWD00004ak

If you come across anything similar, post the diary name and a link here so we can pass it on to the National Archives.

Posted

• Poodle by Poodle

2nd Bn Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment - wo/95/1670/1 Page of 308. Date 23rd ? ,but after August, 1917. Begins "Bn moved to FERMOY.."

Found it very difficult to read, especially right side of page. There are many names in the far right hand column which I couldn't make out, even after increasing image size.

Posted

• SarahPowell by SarahPowell

Picked up by 01dgobbo in comments - diary labelled 2nd Cavalry Field Ambulance is actually the diary of ADMS 2nd Cavalry Division for (I think) at least May and June 1915. Pages either side of 264 need checking. I didn't notice where the transition came.

Posted

• SarahPowell by SarahPowell

See comment above - this diary reverts to No. 2 Cavalry Field Ambulance on page 315 (1st Jan 1916). Previous 50+ pages seem to be all diary of ADMS 2nd Cavalry Division.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to sarahloving's comment.

Thanks for the report on this from those who have highlighted it. I'll see if I can work out how to notify TNA!

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

We are watching, don't worry.

Posted

Thanks David! Glad to leave this to you...

Posted

• David65 by David65

Need a page rotation button! had an upside down page so had to turn my screen upside-down & complete Page that way!! took some time#

Posted

Just tag it as #badscan and move on, or use the method that @bootnecksbs suggested here http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000c/discussions/DWD00008mu

We do need these pages marked as we find them please so that TNA can rescan them correctly or they will always be upside down for anyone who refers to the diary in future.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

My query is not that scan is bad, the page is very clear, but I cannot decipher signatures of the diary author. When working on another N.A. project we were told to transcribe as much of the names as we could read and insert [...] for the part of the name we couldn't read. Apart from hashtagging 'faint' or 'badscan' - I'm thinking particularly of completing person tag, I can hardly tag diary author just as Captain or Major, or can I?

Posted

There's no point hashtagging as #faint or #badscan if the problem is that the writing is undecipherable I agree, since the point of both those hashtags is to flag up a page that might benefit from re-scanning. If you cannot make out the name I would not tag it at all to be honest. If this is the diary author then there is very likely to be a point where his name is mentioned in the text and then you may be able to work it out and tag him in future.

Posted

• Arthur494 by Arthur494

When I had sideways page I made a screenprint and rotated that. It was difficult to pinpoint the items on the original though!

Posted

• brownfox by brownfox

Can someone take a look at this diary: http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00022qw ?

It seems to be missing alternate pages - this page ends on the 25th and the next one claims to start with the continuation of the 28th.

There doesn't seem to be a missing pages hashtag.

[Could be that the officer was writing on the back of the pages and they never got scanned?]

Thanks
    Steve

Posted

I've already looked Steve and replied directly on the page where you commented. The pages are all there in the original and they are all getting tagged. You may not see every one as they appear to have already been tagged by 6 people (we're taking tags from 7 now before the page is marked complete) and so if you and one other person are tagging this diary then each time one of you tags a page it will be marked complete and the other won't see it.

Posted

• brownfox by brownfox

Ah good. Thanks Heather

Posted