War Diaries Talk

Turnout and Reserve Park

  • Stork by Stork

    In day 14, what's a Turnout, and what's a Reserve Park? Both are mentioned frequently in this diary, and I don't think I've ever seen either of them before.


  • marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

    Article re Reserve Parks:

    Most Horse Transport Companies were under orders of Divisions, with four normally being grouped into a Divisional Train. Others were part of the Lines of Communication where they were variously known by subtitles as Auxiliary Supply Companies or Reserve Parks.

    Link: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-army-service-corps-in-the-first-world-war/

    Includes a good photo of Horse Wagons of ASC at roadside dump for supplies, Albert,
    Somme, March 1917. Plenty snow then. - Your diary page is a year later March1918.

    Turnouts – Maybe movement of a number of men detached to 3rd Section Reserve Park


  • cyngast by cyngast moderator

    A turnout, I believe, is a wagon and the horses required to pull it. Collins online dictionary says it is a carriage and its horses, so it makes sense in the context of a divisional train that it would be a wagon. I've seen mention in some diaries that a turnout has won a prize at horse shows.

    A park, in army terms, was not a nice place with grass and trees, but a place where horses and supplies were held. A reserve park would be one that was further back behind the lines than the divisional train.

    It sounds like the three turnouts were needed by the reserve park and that this particular train or company had three they could spare. Or had to spare under orders!

    ETA: My near-ancient printed version of Webster's Dictionary also states that a turnout includes all the equipment needed for a coach or carriage, such as the harness, plus the people driving or otherwise involved with it.


  • ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

    That's interesting, and makes a lot more sense than the first thing I thought of, which was a wider point in a road to allow passing.


  • cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to ral104's comment.

    That was also one of the definitions in both dictionaries I looked in. Also its cousin, the lay-by.