War Diaries Talk

Numbers on cover pages

• Stork by Stork

Each cover page for this 6th Divisional Train has numbers like you can see here- 121/1638. These numbers seem too high to be the unit strength for a Train, and much too low for the total ration strength of the units which the Train is supplying.

I just started the 3rd Divisional Train, and its cover pages also have the numbers- AWD0003wp6. This has the same 121, but its 7599 is a lot higher than the 6th Train's 1638.

Any ideas?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Wonder if they are just the File numbers for the 3rd and 6th Divisional Train Diaries.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm guessing, and it is just a guess, that they are an identification number for the unit. I've seen them on other cover pages as well.

Some of the cover sheets we see, like this one, were written at the time the diary was submitted, and others appear to have been written at a later point in time. On this sheet, I think the red notations were made later.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

They don't look like service numbers or anything like that. Cynthia's guess that they're some sort of unit identifier seems like a reasonable one.

Posted

Box 1529 on cover page 27 Bde RFA

Came across an entry on the following cover page which states Box No. 1529 for the 27th Brigade RFA. Maybe the diaries had to go into certain numbered boxes. Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003u9w

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Rob may know more, but I suspect that the cover page you linked to above was added at some point after the end of the war. Box No.1529 was probably where the diary was stored or related in some other way to the diary.

Posted

There is an article here re The War Diaries for the Great War, which includes the number WO95/1529 – 1529 - a reference to thei war diary of:-

5 DIVISION Divisional Troops 27 Brigade Royal Field Artillery : 1 December 1915 - 26 September 1916 (First World War, War Diary, WO95/1529)

Link: http://www.naval-military-press.com/5-division-divisional-troops-27-brigade-royal-field-artillery-1-december-1915-26-september-1916-first-world-war-war-diary-wo95-1529.html

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

These are the National Archives codes for the diaries - W095 is the full record series. 1529 designates a particular part of that collection. Possibly identifying an actual physical box - I'm not sure about that.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to ral104's comment.

So those are the codes that appear at the bottom right-hand corner of the diary pages we tag?

Posted

Yes, these codes appear on the bottom right hand corner of the diary pages. example - (RFA WO/95/1529/1 Page 77 of 105) is for the diary of the 5 Division Divisional Troops 27th Brigade RFA.

Posted