War Diaries Talk

Unit name

• Stork by Stork

This diary is labeled 483 Field Company Royal Engineers, but the pages all say 1st East Anglican Field Coy RE. Are those the same, or is the diary mislabeled?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

There is some Information re 483 Coy RE - seems to be part of the 1st (East Anglian) Field Company TF, joined 2nd Division 1915.

See link: http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-corps-of-royal-engineers-in-the-first-world-war/field-companies-of-the-royal-engineers/

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

The 1st (East Anglian) Field Company was part of the Territorial Forces that existed prior to the start of World War 1. When it was sent to France to join the 2nd Division, it was given the number 483rd Field Company RE. Many units that existed before the war continued to refer to themselves and sometimes other units, such as other battalions in their brigade or division, by their pre-war names.

So, the short answer is yes, they are the same unit.

Note that it was called the 1st East Anglian Field Coy, meaning that as a Territorial Force Field Coy., it was based in East Anglia.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Thanks- about 10 pages after I posted, the adjutant started using '483rd (East Anglian) Field Coy R E,' so cyngast nailed it, as usual!!! She's also right that it's Anglian, not Anglican, as I put in my first post. I just assumed it was Anglican without looking closely at the spelling.

And, if anyone doesn't know, as I didn't, Anglia is the eastern part of England, as well as the Medieval Latin name for England.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

East Anglia is a geographical area in the East of England. The area included has varied but the legally defined NUTS 2 statistical unit, comprises the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, including the City of Peterborough unitary authority. The name derives from the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of the East Angles, a tribe that originated in Angeln, northern Germany.

The Kingdom of the East Angles (Old English: Ēast Engla Rīce; Latin: Regnum Orientalium Anglorum), today known as the Kingdom of East Anglia, was a small independent kingdom of the Angles comprising what are now the English counties of Norfolk and Suffolk and perhaps the eastern part of the Fens. The kingdom formed in the 6th century in the wake of the Anglo-Saxon settlement of Britain. It was ruled by the Wuffingas in the 7th and 8th centuries, but fell to Mercia in 794, and was conquered by the Danes in 869, forming part of the Danelaw. It was conquered by Edward the Elder and incorporated into the Kingdom of England in 918.

Posted