War Diaries Talk

Commander

• Stork by Stork

This Coy has Lts, Captains and Majors who have been in it since mobilization, so why is a newly-arrived 2nd Lt put in command rather than one of them?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm assuming you mean the entry for the 19th. If that's the case, I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but it looks like he is in charge of just the horses, vehicles, and equipment of No. 2 Coy. That would mean it was his responsibility to see that the horses are cared for properly, vehicles maintained in good condition, etc., but not to organize the operations of the company.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

19th Read it as: 2/Ltt. M Burke reported, took over the horses, vehicles and equipment of the Coy. Assuming command of No. 2 Coy, 5th Divisional Train.

PS Not sure if it is No. 2 or 3 Coy.

Posted

Oops! I missed that part about No. 2 Coy. Maybe it is just a temporary post?

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Thanks, I didn't think to mention when I posted: a couple pages later, on the last day of the month, 2/Lt Burke signed the bottom right corner with "2/Lt O/C No. 3 Coy" after his signature. So, I'm pretty sure he's in command of the entire Coy.

Posted

Sounds like it. As to your original question of why when there are more senior officers in the company, the other officers probably already have jobs/appointments they are tending to that may require more experience.

Posted