War Diaries Talk

Aquatic Sports Competition, 95th Infantry Brigade

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

In July of 1918, the 95th Infantry Brigade held this competition, and the diary of the 1/Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry includes 7 pages of orders and reports regarding it. They turned this into a big event which must have been a great morale booster to everyone. This is the first page of the orders chronologically (but not first in the diary where they are a little mixed up), including such details as "It is hoped the Divisional Band will attend." and "Battalions may send one or two Clowns."

The list of events includes a Duck Hunt where any competitor who catches a duck gets to keep it. Image AWD0003wuj

Other pages list competitors Image AWD0003wsc , winners of the first three events (the remainder were postponed a day due to rain) Image AWD0003wte , and a sketch of the area where the competition will be held, including the location for the Divisional Band! Image AWD0003wtj There is also a page detailing who the judges will be Image AWD0003r4q and the water pole match schedule Image AWD0003wrr .

I have found many references in the diaries to various kinds of brigade-level competitions, but this collection of orders and reports really gives a good look at what went into the preparations for such events.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I love the idea of battalion clowns!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to ral104's comment.

Isn't it great? That one feature of the event really gives a sense that were trying to do something that the men could really enjoy, a chance to relax and laugh. Although I also really like the duck hunt and the pillow fight on a greased pole!

Posted