War Diaries Talk

Error of the day

• Stork by Stork

2 questions on this page:

The 24th, 25th + 26th days say that they are testing the 'error of the day.' Another page puts it as 'firing to find the error of the day.'

The 24th day says they are testing frizes.

What are those two things?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

(Fuzes not Frizes): I read the entry as “The 34th Battery tested some re-adjusted fuzes (fuses) at a registered point on the Lille road”. i.e.corrected their registration error and adjusted their fuses.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Maybe Rob gave the answer to your question in the last reply of the following link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD0000009/discussions/DWD00019z0

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I know I've heard of the error of the day before. It has to do compensating for wind so that the guns still hit their targets, because the wind is creating an error in their calculations.

It sounds like every day someone decides which mistake made that day was the worst one, but that is not what it means.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, it sounds like a competition to get the worst shot, doesn't it? 😄

Cynthia and Erik are right, though - this is to determine the conditions of the day (wind speed and so on) which need to be fed into the gunlaying calculations to ensure they're accurate.

And Marie is right about the fuzes.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Barometeric pressure another important component

Posted