War Diaries Talk

Capt. M C C Harrison

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I think that this captain (bottom of page, just to left of Capt. MacGrath's signature) is Michael Charles Cooper Harrison, who was captured in October 1914 and remained a German POW until the fall of 1917.

He is the co-author, with Capt. H. Cartwright, of a book titled Within Four Walls that describes his experiences. I have not read it, and have been unable to find anything online detailing how he got away from the Germans. Does anyone know anything more about him?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Article regarding their escapes see the extract link - (and the Item Description*) from this very interesting book).

• “Several further escape attempts were made until they managed to escape for good in 1917 after a nine-day walk to Holland”.
      Extract from Within Four Walls Major M C C Harrison and Capt H a Cartwright
      Pen Sword Books Ltd, United Kingdom, 2016. Hardback. Book Condition: New. 234 x 156 mm. Language: English . Brand New Book.

Within Four Walls tells the remarkable story of two British officers and their war effort, capture by the Germans, imprisonment and eventual escape to Holland. The authors were made to write a concise and accurate account of their incarceration in 1917 and 1918 for the War Office, the basis of which forms the narrative for this book. Although many points were censored while the war was still ongoing, the authors filled in the gaps before the book was published in 1930. The pair were both stationed in Mons at the outbreak of the war but were both captured and transferred to a PoW camp in Burg, Germany. Almost immediately after arriving the pair were planing their escape, akin to the events seen in The Great Escape. After tailoring and dyeing their own guard uniforms they simply strolled out of the Burg camp, enjoying nine days of freedom before being recaptured at Rostock, some 300km away. They were then moved to a camp in Torgau but soon after arrival they began plotting their second escape, this time by tunnelling out of the camp. Several further escape attempts were made until they managed to escape for good in 1917 after a nine-day walk to Holland. Complete with a selection of original photographs and diagrams drawn by the authors during their years of incarceration, this book reads like the screenplay of a Hollywood blockbuster and is a riveting account from the first page until the last. Bookseller Inventory # AAZ9781473827578
    Extract Link: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/within-four-walls/author/major-m-c-c-harrison/

Note also: Lieutenant-Colonel Michael Charles Cooper Harrison 22/03/1918 to 11/11/1918 Remained CO 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment.

Will have to put this interesting book on my to order list.

Posted

Marie, Thank you. I saw that there was a listing for it on Abe Books, but I did not realize it would have a description. Their summary doesn't quite agree with the extracts posted on his Lives of the First World War page https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/1599992 where it says he was captured in mid-October 1914 near the Aubers Ridge, rather than at Mons.

Amazon has it listed, at list on the US site, but it's almost $100 US.

Posted

This diary page states that Captain S S Harrison gave a most interesting lecture regarding his capture by the enemy, his treatment while a prisoner. His numerous attempts and eventual escape from Germany. Attended by all Officers and NCO’s of the Brigade.

Page link: https://static.zooniverse.org/www.operationwardiary.org/subjects/standard/577e8d713ae7403a58001d37.jpg

Posted

Yes, I saw that earlier today. I've been tagging the 2nd Royal Irish Regiment, which was Capt. Harrison's regiment.

He had just returned to the regiment a week or so earlier.

Posted

Cynthia, I thought the name of Captain Harrison rang a bell about him being taken prisoner.

I looked at my notes when I tagged the diary of the 2nd Btn Royal Irish Rifles about 3 months ago, and found a comment I made concerning a private diary by him.

Page link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003jy5 (Cover page: Entitled: Extracted from #privatediary of Major. M.C.C. Harrison. Account of action 25 Mar-3 Apr 1918.2 Btn RIR/49th Bde/16 Div/V11 Corps/ Fifth Army

On the Question and Answer Board we had a discussion about this. The discussion in question mentioning this can be found on the same link as above.

Posted

I remember that discussion now. I haven't gotten there yet in my tagging.

Thank you for reminding me of it.

Posted