War Diaries Talk

Trench Raid Plan/Organisation

• Bideford by Bideford

I am new.

I am working on the 11th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Following the entry for the 31st November 1916 are several pages of a VERY detailed plan for a trench raid on a German trench containing a tunnel discovered by the 9th RIF. These pages I have recorded as 'Other' after the first page, that I annotated as Trench Raid.

Is this correct?...it is a really interesting set of pages.

Everett Sharp ('Bideford')

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Hi, Bideford! Welcome to Operation War Diary!

This does sound like an interesting set of pages! It's difficult to tell without seeing the pages, but your description of them as a detailed plan sounds like they might have been better tagged as Orders. If the raid had already occurred, then the pages should be tagged as a Report. Using either of these page types allows you to record certain types of information, such as dates or, in the case of reports, people's names, which the Other designation doesn't allow you to do.

However, don't worry about having tagged this set as Other. The way our system is set up, each page is tagged by five people before it is considered finished. The data is then reviewed and a consensus reached as to the best tag to keep. For example, if four people tag a date as 16 July 1917 and one tags it as 16 January, that one rogue tag is tossed out. So it's likely that the other four volunteers will tag these pages as either Orders or a Report, depending on which is the most appropriate.

Annotating them as Trench Raid was a good idea, as it will help anybody researching that particular topic locate this set. In the future, adding a bit more information, such as whether the raid was by the British on an enemy trench or the other way around, makes the notation even more useful.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Hello Bideford, just thought I would mention that if you go into the Discussion Boards, under the Mess Hall, there are some useful tips posted there.

Posted