War Diaries Talk

missing page(s)

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

No diary entries between 21st February and 1st March. Pages are consecutive. Problem more or less solved: the "cover" of March 1918 mentions that the war diary is missing. Image AWD0003gwz

Posted

Page 382 is missing

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thanks for reporting this, Erik.

The records for many units for March, 1918 are incomplete. Papers were either burned, if the adjutant had time, or possibly lost, in the face of the German offensive in the Somme area that began on 21 March. Some battalions were completely overrun and captured.

Just tag what is here as best you can. You can also add comments if you think they could be useful.

Posted

Image AWD0003jae is page 24 and the next Image AWD0003jcs is page 26, so I missed page 25 in the diary of the 7/8 Royal inniskilling Fusiliers.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

Sometimes you won't see a page, Erik, because five people have already tagged it. It is possible for a tagger to try out a diary that is partially complete, do the one page that comes up, and then decide to move on to a different diary.

I learned to watch the page numbers at the bottom when I click Finish. This way, if the new page doesn't follow the one before it, I know whether the pages are out of order or if just that one page was already tagged five times.

Posted

I don't know if the theory of the 5 taggers is correct because until now I missed the following pages (bottom right): 27-28-29 / 37 / 44 / 59-60-61 / 65-66 / 70 / 88-89 / 100.

Posted

Erik, which diary are these pages from?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia, I think he is tagging 49 Infantry Brigade, 7/8 Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers because he is commenting on pages in this diary. He will probably confirm whether this is correct or not.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Those pages are all there, Erik, but they've already been tagged by five people. I think the issue in this sort of case is when somebody has gone through and closed lots of pages without tagging anything, then tagged a few pages, then done a lot more 'empty' ones. It doesn't happen too often, thankfully, but it's why you get these little patches of pages which are already complete in some diaries.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to ral104's comment.

"Without tagging anything": do you mean that someone not even chooses a PAGE TYPE and clicks the FINISH button to go to the next page? In this diary there are many "orders" to tag and on some pages there is nothing to tag, except the fact that it is an "order".

Posted

Yes, unfortunately that does sometimes happen - often because they struggle with the handwriting, I think. Generally, most volunteers who do that don't stay with the project very long.

In the situation you describe, where the only thing you can do is to classify the page as an order, that counts as a tagged page.

Posted

You have to choose a page type or nothing at all happens when you click Finish.

Posted

You can get it to go through without a page type if you choose one and then 'unchoose' it, as it were.

Posted

Image AWD0003kbf I am tagging 3rd Div 4 Bde RHA. The 1st cover OF THE DIARY says that volume I goes from 1/10 to 31/12/14. But after the 25 November (page 17) the next page didn't show at all (part of the screen where the page should appear stayed blue) and the next page was page 19 which was the start of Volume II + III being January and February. So December is missing.

Posted

Thanks, Erik. It looks like there's a problem with the image file for that page. Not sure whether it's because of a bad scan or not.

Posted

Same issue with page 59 (WO/95/1146/1 Page of 305) . Next page I get is page 61 (WO/95/1146/1 Page 61 of 30) being cover of December 1915. So November is missing.

Posted

There's something wrong with the images again. I'm not sure what the issue is, but they must be corrupted in some way.

Posted

Rob, I have two pages (70 Image AWD0003k86 and 72 AWD0003h38) which doesn't show. Thought I let you know.

Posted

Okay, thanks Erik. It seems there are a number of problem images scattered through this diary.

Posted

I tagged page 147 of the 3 CAVALRY DIVISION: 4 BRIGADE ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY, and the Finish button didn't work. Somehow a new page appeared, but is was again page 147. I tagged this page again because the tags were gone and the comment box was empty. When I finished the page and went to the Talk page I saw not the page next to my comments, but the symbol of a picture.Next page was not 148, but 149

Posted

Erik, this seems to be the same issue with corrupt images. I can see all your tags on the pages which display correctly, though, so they have definitely been saved.

Posted

Finally I missed 16 pages of the diary of the 3 CAVALRY DIVISION: 4 BRIGADE ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY (1 OCT 1914 - 30 JUN 1919). It was always the same issue: after clicking the Finish button, the next page didn't turn up. Had to exit OWD and upon restarting OWD the location of the page was blue and when I clicked the Finish button again a new page showed up, but not the next one.

Posted

Thank you for the update. Have you finished that diary now?

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Yes, its finished but I stay in the artillery with the 35th brigade RFA.

Posted