War Diaries Talk

They Shall not Grow Old film

• josiepegg by josiepegg

Peter Jackson has made a film using original WW1 footage to be released tomorrow and shown on BBC on November 11th.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/peter-jackson-they-shall-not-grow-old

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thanks for posting this, Josie. It looks interesting.

I wonder if it will ever make it to the US. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Seen this Film advertised the other day, Will watch with interest when it appears on BBC. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to josiepegg's comment.

I saw this last night. Amazing film with colour and sound effects. Most of the footage I had not seen before. Really makes the diaries come alive!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

For anyone in the US who is interested in seeing this film it is being shown in theaters across the country on Monday, January 21 only. There have been two previous screenings in the US in December, which I hadn't heard about, but this one has been added and is billed as the last one. So now is your chance.

I got my ticket through this website: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/they-shall-not-grow-old The zip code locator doesn't seem to work but entering my city and state did.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

You will enjoy this interesting film Cynthia, the coloured photography brings the war more to life along with the sound effects. The report on the film was as follows:

"Using state-of-the-art technology and materials from the BBC and Imperial War Museum, filmmaker Peter Jackson allows the story of World War I to be told by the men who were there. Life on the front is explored through the voices of the soldiers, who discuss their feelings about the conflict, the food they ate, the friends they made and their dreams of the future".

PS: It is Jackson's first documentary as director, although he directed the mockumentary Forgotten Silver in 1995, and produced the West Memphis Three documentary West of Memphis in 2012. Jackson, whose grandfather (to whom the film is dedicated) fought in the war, intended for the film to be an immersive experience of "what it was like to be a soldier" rather than a story or a recount of events; the crew reviewed 600 hours of interviews from 200 veterans, and 100 hours of original film footage to make the film. The title was inspired by the line "They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old" from the 1914 poem "For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon, famous for being used in the Ode of
    Remembrance.

Link for the words of the poem. https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57322/for-the-fallen

"For the Fallen" was specifically composed in honour of the casualties of the British Expeditionary Force, which by then already suffered severely at the Battle of Mons and the Battle of the Marne in the opening phase of the war on the Western Front. Over time, the third and fourth stanzas of the poem (usually nowadays just the fourth)[1] have been claimed as a tribute to all casualties of war, regardless of state, and it is this selection of "For the Fallen" to which the term "Ode of Remembrance" usually refers.

Posted