War Diaries Talk

abbreviations

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

What is a S.W.O. and a W.S.?
    W.O. = ward orderly, but S.W.O. = sub ward orderly?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

W.O. here does not mean ward orderly. It is Warrant Officer. I don't remember what the S stands for. Maybe Sub?

SAS is Sub Assistant Surgeon.

These are ranks that were used only in the ambulance units of the Indian Army.

I know we had a thread about these back in 2014 when we had our first diaries up from the Indian Army. I'm sorry I don't have time right now to search for it. It's just 6:30 am here and I have a lot to do before I have to be at work in 2 hours. I'll try to look for it later, though.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Erik/Cynthia, here is a link for Ranks Indian Army (Posted 4 years ago) in The Mess Hall Board / The Historian's Arms.

https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000p/discussions/DWD0000k5u

Makes reference also to S.A.S. is Sub-Assistant Surgeon, with the rank of Subedar.

PS – Re Indian Ranks: Found another entry for Q.M.D. stand for Quarter-Master Daffadar

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Found 'a guide to Indian Army Abbreviations http://www.empirefaithwar.com/tell-their-story/research-your-soldier/helpful-guides/indian-army-abbreviations/ but don(t find mine.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Maybe S.W.O. is Subedar Warrant Officer?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

According to your list, W. O. would be ward orderly rather than warrant officer, so maybe S.W.O. is sub ward orderly.

One reason it is hard to find these particular ranks is because they were used only in the Indian Army field ambulances. So very few men held these ranks.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Sometimes I think the authors make their own abbreviations. 😉

Posted