War Diaries Talk

I.M.S. T.C.

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Lt Laskari: I.M.S. = Indian Medical Service, but where stands T.C. for? Tank Corps?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm thinking the C is for Cavalry but I'm not sure about the T. Territorial, maybe? So Territorial Cavalry?

I don't have time to research it now--time to leave for work--but I'll try to do some later.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

My guess is Temporary Commission. I have seen it written in full in one case. Apparently 1,000 Temporary Commissions were issued in WW1 by the IMS.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Articles re Temporary Commissions:

1. Medical personnel. The British armed forces required large number of men and women with medical training. Many doctors for example were granted temporary commission in the RAMC. RAMC (Temp) Officers only served for the duration of the war.

2. By the time of the Great War there were Indian officers in the IMS holding ranks from Lieutenant to Colonel. The whole point about the IMS was that it was the only branch of the Indian Army in which Indian Officers routinely held 'British' ranks.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to deehar's comment.

That could be it: almost all officers are referred to as T.C. with the exception of C.O. Maj. Cazaly.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

William Henry Cazaly was a regular IMS officer. born London 1873, studied at Barts, univ London. Bachelor Medicine in 1905 after joining Army in 1900. Served in Bombay command. Promoted Major 1911. Later Lt Col , retd 1920. Info from Ancestry!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to deehar's comment.

Yes, I think you're right. It's been a while since I have done an ambulance diary and I forgot that many medical officers were on temporary commissions lasting one year with an option for renewal.

Posted