War Diaries Talk

Reverend vs Chaplain

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

What's the difference between a reverend and a chaplain, if there is a difference because L.W. Wright seems to be both.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I believe there is no difference.

Title is one and the same. We have a tag for Chaplain which covers Reverend.

The Reverend is an honorific style most often placed before the names of Christian clergy and ... Father as an informal title is used for Roman Catholic, Orthodox and Old Catholic priests and for many priests of the Anglican and Lutheran.

See link: https://www.google.com/search?q=Reverent+Title+ww1&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB796GB796&oq=Reverent&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j0l4.11154j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Also here is a list for Chaplains in WW1 link:

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/1950

PS My parish priest was a Chaplain in WW1 and he returned home.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

A chaplain is a member of the clergy who is attached to a branch of a military or another institution, such as a school. It is a title that goes with this kind of job.

The term reverend is a title for a member of the Christian clergy no matter what their day-to-day work may be.

So L.W. Wright is can be addressed as Reverend because he is a member of the clergy and he can be addressed as Chaplain because he is attached to the army as a member of the clergy.

Hope that helps and isn't just confusing.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

And strictly speaking he should not have been termed a captain, he'd be a Chaplain Fourth Class I think - chaplains wear the same rank insignia as other officers, but do not take conventional ranks in the British Army, other armies do different things. Meanwhile the RAF does use ranks, but always includes the Revd for a chaplain (eg Squadron Leader the Revd J Bloggs) and Royal Navy chaplains have officer status (they can enter the wardroom etc, and their cap is officer style) but wear no rank insignia at all. In all cases they are usually just addressed as padre by all ranks.

Posted