War Diaries Talk

weird name

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

June 23rd: 2nd lt H. Mc C.B. Bramwell ?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Although not in these diaries, I have come across the name Henry McClintock Bunbury Bramwell but not sure if this refers to the man you named - This name came up on a google search however.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

It seems likely to be the same person - the name is fairly distinctive. Do you know which diary you saw him in before, Marie?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Ral, I just did a google search for this name and information appeared on the following link for the name.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Henry+McClintock+Bunbury+Bramwell&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB796GB796&oq=Henry+McClintock+Bunbury+Bramwell&aqs=chrome..69i57.1570j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I did not see him mentioned in any of the diaries.

PS I have not started to tag any of the new diaries yet including Rhine Cavalry Brigades Hussar Brigade: 15 (The King's) Hussars (1919-04-01) on which the query was. I thought I would finish off some of the diaries that were not finished before the new ones.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

Erik, what do you think is weird about the name?

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

The combination of the initials and Mc in between. I couldn't find anything in Lives nor in the National Archives. In the meantime I explored Marie's link and I found a Thomas Leopold McClintock Bunbury (who is probably the Temporary Second Lieutenant Honorary T L McClintock-Bunbury in Lives) and he is a brother of Mary McClintock Bunbury. She married Lt Col Henry Duncombe Bramwell and they had a son, 'our' Henry McClintock Bunbury Bramwell (see http://www.geneagraphie.com/familychart.php?personID=I44735&tree=1). Operation War Diary can be fun!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Yes, it can! I found a case where one woman married two men from the same battalion, but not at the same time. I think it was one of the guard brigades, though.

For names that begin with Mc, like McClintock or McDonald, it's standard to include the Mc with the following initial, like McC or McD. It gets confusing when it's written like it is on this page, with the period after the Mc. It would be clearer if it was H. McC. B. Bramwell.

Posted