War Diaries Talk

Time

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Do I tag the times of excercises, inspections, church parades etc?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Don't know about anyone else in the diaries Eric, but I have always tagged the times, especially times for Zero hour etc. Maybe there is an exception to what times should be tagged though.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

As it is stated in the Field Guide, accessible from the home page, times in the Time column on a diary page, such as you have here, should be tagged. Times of events reported in the diary should not be tagged.

I've tagged diaries where lists of times like these went on for pages. My tip is to tag all the instances of each time, such as 8:30, on the page, then do another time. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy.

Funny how some diaries are very precise about times, while others don't ever record a single time that anything happened.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

I always tag times even when it is when someone returns from leave or a rum issue! I tag all the dates on the page first before the other tags but the times for one day only.. Clearly some officers are very meticulous with their times while others hate bureaucracy and only record the absolute minimum. I can imagine them thinking "Who cares what time Pte Bloggs went on his Sanitary Course? Life is not long enough." On the other hand I suppose the diaries could be used as vital evidence at Courts Martial for desertion etc.

Posted