War Diaries Talk

POW's

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

Are arrested Germans hashtagged prisoners of war after 11.11.18 ?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

There's no hard and fast rule about this. I might do something like "#prisoners ? Germans arrested." and maybe add something brief about the circumstances. Were they deserters caught looting? Were they civilians? Was this in France or Belgium or in Germany itself?

Technically, they would not be prisoners of war after the Armistice went into effect.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

so hashtag them as above but dont list numbers of POW 's on casualties dropdown?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Dial, I was just reading through the talk page and noticed your above question - I believe the Casualty Drop Down List is for our own Prisoners of War and not the Enemy.

PS Is this the following page you mean - concerning entry on 20th โ€“ โ€œ3 German soldiers arrested disguised as civiliansโ€?
    Page link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00046fb

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Oh heck for 6 years I have been using that for captured prisoners..ty for putting me right! <<<<<is off to reread the field guide.!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, Marie is right - the casualty tag is only for casualties from the unit you're tagging.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

That's why we made a hashtag for prisoners, to keep a record of captured enemy soldiers.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to cyngast's comment.

Sorry -my bad

Posted

Dial some links for you re 2nd Btn Middlesex Regiment.

I also noticed that the diary of the 2nd Btn Middlesex Regiment diary is out of order. starting at Diary page 4, for 1st-9th April 1918.

I also noticed that the Author has written on top of the page - Page 1. He seems to be marking his pages as he is writing them. Although another Author may take over, seeing there are 536 pages.

Link for page https://www.operationwardiary.org/#/classify/5b97a659cb2b11003b001423

I am doing another diary at the minute and considered doing this diary later and would have reported it then.

Here is a list of names plus photos for the 2nd Btn Middlesex Regiment. Link: http://ww1photos.com/Regiments/Middlesex/2nd.html

Also a link for the Commanding Officers for the 2nd Btn Middlesex Regiment. Link: http://www.ww1infantrycos.co.uk/middlesex.html

PS In hindsight I should have reported this to the Moderators when I looked at earlier.

By the way concerning the links for the 2nd Btn Middlesex Regiment. I always bookmark these for easy reference by pressing the little star at the top of the diary page right hand side, which will come up 'Bookmark this page'. (My Bookmarks) will come appear in the top left hand corner of the page.

You probably know how to do this anyway ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Moderators I have a question for you re the Talk Page, concerning the layout of the questions and answers page.

When I bring the talk page up I notice that many of the questions and answers appear halfway across the right hand side of the page and not in the usual format.

I wondered if I had pressed a key in error to cause this when reading it, or has anyone else seen this right hand format when they bring the Talk page up?

I tried reloading the page and also signing in and out but the talk page section comes up exactly the same as described.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

I have no idea why it's doing that, Marie, but you're not the only one to have noticed it. Possibly Zooniverse are doing something in the background that's caused it. In the meantime, it doesn't seem to make any difference as far as accessing individual posts goes.

Posted

Thanks for that quick reply Ral.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

The 23rd IB 2 BN Middlesex Regt Diary of 536 pages is a bit of a mess. It starts in April 1918 goes to 31st march 1919 then at page 112 goes back to March 1918 where I am at. Page 261 goes backwards again to 1.1.18. The reports/signal pads & orders are mixed up & 2 sheets side by side to a page is also difficult. Diary goes backwards in 3 month lots -p283 is Oct 1917.Diary ends in December 1914.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Marie, you do know that the World War 1 photos website is not an official website of any organization, right? It appears to be something run by an individual on Wordpress. And the ww1ukinfantry site is not particularly accurate. There are a number of mistakes in the COs listed for the the 2nd Coldstream Guards alone. And I've found errors in several battalions previously.

So use these sites with caution.

Posted

Thanks for that information Cynthia.

Posted