War Diaries Talk

cpl s/s Parks 765

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

This is the 4th time I came across this soldier. On one occasion his name was spelled as Packs. His service number was always 765. Now his is killed in action on 28th October 1917. When searching the CWGC I only find a cpl Park (Park) with service number 645642 (RFA) who died on 28th October 1917. According to the commemorative certificate of the CWGC he was a member of the A Bty 188th Brigade and not of the 168th Brigade. But in the graves registration report form he belonged to the 168th and his name was changed from Parks into Park and the day of death was changed from 1/11/1917 to 28/10/1917. In Lo1WW there is also no cpl Parks with service number 765, but there is a farrier sergeant Park 645642. I wonder how 765 became 645642.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

This looks interesting. I'll try to do a bit of hunting of my own later today.

Posted

I think you've got two different men here. Park and Parks are very common English surnames, so maybe the confusion is from that. Also that 168 and 188 might look very much the same if typed on an old typewriter with a worn ribbon.

In some units, the service numbers did change towards the end of the war. A man might also have a different service number if he had been wounded seriously and been in hospital for months and struck off the strength of his unit.

But I've never heard of a man getting a different service number after he died. That would be very strange.

I found the Cpl. Park from the 188th Brigade, but I can't find this Cpl. J. Parks on the CWGC site.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Cynthia if you found cpl Park 188th Bde you also did found cpl Parks just go to the bottom of this page link and click on 'View Full". https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/447163/park,-/

Posted

I see those now. It's really a shame that his records are so confused.

Posted