War Diaries Talk

about mistakes

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I've tagged now about 7 series of nominal rolls and approximately 1120 names. Only 416 names are reproduced without a mistake, being another spelling or initial(s) or service number. I wonder how many mistakes I made tagging them? 😃

By the way is it some form of etiquette that the initial(s) of an officer are in front of the surname and the initial(s) of the other ranks behind it?

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Other Ranks are identified primarily by their number, but more generally "Gentlemen" in other contexts were listed as initials then surname, others as surname then initials. For example in cricket which long maintained a distinction between "Gentlemen" (ie amateurs) and "Players" (professional sportsmen), scorecards used the same convention, supposedly leading to a tannoy announcement at Lords cricket ground in the 1950s(?) to make a correction to the scorecard "For F J Titmus, please read Titmus, F J) as he was a professional. (see http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/567392.html)

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to David_Underdown's comment.

Interesting story, but can you please explain "a tannoy announcement" ?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

It's an announcement on a public address system or a loudspeaker. So in David's example, it's the sound system that is used to tell the crowd what is happening.

Great work on all those rolls!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, thanks for doing all of those, Erik.

Posted