War Diaries Talk

Hand-Written Version of Typed Diary: 161 Brigade Royal Field Artillery

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

Having gotten to the end of the 161st Brigade's career in Oct 19 in typed pages on p. 243 of 426, this hand-written partial version of the diary from Sep 18 has now appeared (the tagged typewritten version of this page is https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00044cb).

I had been wondering what was going to fill the second half of this diary, but was not expecting this. I presume the hand-written version does not require tagging as well, but can this be confirmed?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

To anyone working on this diary and who reaches this point in the next couple of weeks from now, June 15, I'm going to have to ask you to wait a bit for a reply. Rob (ral104) is the person best equipped to give you an answer about the best course of action, but he is taking some vacation right now and is not available.

Feel free to move to another diary while you wait.

@f0rbe5 I have sent you a message with more detail. And thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Posted

I have heard from Rob and we have decided that the ideal way to handle the hand-written part of this diary is to scan through it. If anything significant pops out that you don't remember seeing in the typewritten part, go ahead and tag it. Pay the most attention to names of people, of course.

Otherwise, as you go through these hand-written pages, they will be recorded as having been tagged. We will need five people to at least go through the pages in order to finish out the diary eventually.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Query: Have noticed this message re handwritten version of the diary of the 161 Brigade RFA (from Sep 18).

I have just begun to tag the typed pages of this diary. When I reach the Sept version (handwritten) and do not notice anything that has been mentioned in the typed version, do I continue just tagging from the Sept part, by only pressing the Finished button on each page? Or do I tag all these pages (handwritten), commenting #duplicate?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Glad to know someone actually saw my sticky for this thread!

No, there's no need to put #duplicate in for each page of the handwritten part. We are now aware that this section exists, and it would probably drive you demented to do that!

If I could just ask that you check those left-hand pages that contain names against your notes to make sure no one is missed that would be great.

Posted

Cynthia I have now finished tagging the typed pages for the diary of the 161st Bde RFA. ending at page 243 October 1919.

I have just started scanning through the handwritten pages of this diary which appear after the typed pages. I will check my notes with these handwritten pages regarding names entered. By the way so far up to page 354 of 425, I have noticed that names appear not only on the left hand side but also on right hand side of the diary pages in the text.

I will report on my finding when finished the handwritten pages of this diary. Most of what is written in the handwritten part of the diary so far, I seem to remember seeing in the typed version.

Posted

Cynthia, I have a query on the next handwritten page number 354 (Handwritten page of diary of 161st Bde RFA). Left hand side is a casualty list for 18-21st Oct 1917. On right hand side of the text also near the bottom of the page casualties mentioned.

I have a note of the casualty on right hand side text, as being tagged in the typed version. i.e. Maj. E H Pease-Watkins wounded. Also I have a note of when 2/Lt. F G Stevens joined. I am sure I must have tagged him as dying of wounds, when I tagged. Maj. E.H Pease-Watkins.

Now the casualty list on the left hand side, I probably did tag in the typed version of the diary but not sure, because of this doubt I intend to tag the casualties named on the left hand side tomorrow Friday. Bearing in mind when I tag them again they could be duplicated entries. Will that be OK?

Posted

Yes, it should be fine to tag them.

Posted

Cynthia, Another question for you regarding Casualties/names on Handwritten pages of the diary for the 161st Brigade RFA. Have tagged the casualties on page 354 of 425.

From this page, continuing scanning through the handwritten pages of this diary I find that on the left hand side of the pages (358/359/360/361/362) there are quite a few named casualties which I am not familiar with – these are for men not Officers – I have notes of Officers from the typed diary.

Therefore, continuing from 362, perhaps I might just as well tag all the casualties on the left hand side and maybe the right hand side of the pages until the end of the handwritten diary. It is the men who I am not sure of – I did not take names of the men only Officers when I made my notes.

Cynthia, I do not mind tagging unfamiliar casualties/ names on remaining pages of the handwritten pages of this diary. (Maybe quicker for me than wondering have I noticed names before – apart from Officers and pondering should I tag certain names or not).

I would rather tag them, in case they have been missed. Although they could be duplicated casualty/names if I tag them all again in the handwritten copy of this diary.

I would have probably tagged all the names – casualties or not – in the typed version. Some in the handwritten pages for casualties I am uncertain of.

Is that Ok with you.

Posted

That's fine. After all, the men's names are really the most important bits of information to tag.

Posted

Cynthia, I have finished scanning the handwritten diary part of the 161st Brigade RFA, ending on page 425. Tagging necessary casualties/names etc. that may not have appeared in the typed part of this diary. .

Posted

Okay. Thanks for being so diligent about this.

Posted