War Diaries Talk

Too Many Comments and Repeated Hashtags

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I've decided to take a bit of time here to try to explain the best use of comments and hashtags, partly because this page to the left, which I have just tagged, is a good example of well intentioned commenting getting out of hand. Please understand that my goal is not to criticize but to improve the results of our project on which so many volunteers spend so many hours.

The Comments box was created to make note of truly rare events or situations; as the project got going and our use of hashtags developed, the box became an important way to record specific actions and items that are not included in the official project tags. The problem with too many comments and duplicate hashtags is that they create clutter that can be difficult to sort through. Important information ends up buried under repetitions of the page's actual content.

In this example, there are six comments that simply repeat information that is clearly stated on the diary page. None of it is really particularly noteworthy. Barrages up and down the line happened frequently, as did reports, whether true or not, of Germans massing for an attack. I'm not sure I understand why these comments have been created. Making a note of truly rare occurrences is fine, but there's no need to try to summarize the contents of the page.

This page's comments also contain a couple of examples of duplicated hashtags, which are not necessary. After Marie used the #alliedrelations and #gas hashtags, anyone searching for examples of those topics will find the page. (I mention Marie because she was the first volunteer to make comments on this page.) Adding the same hashtag again will not help, although, in truth, it doesn't prevent anyone finding the page either. It just adds one more comment that is not necessary.

Also remember that hashtags are not a substitute for the project's tags, found on the left-hand side of the page you are tagging. Always use those tags first if they are applicable to the diary.

Think of the Comments box as a case of less is more.We want your input, questions, and observations. Just make sure your comments are valuable and that they add an interpretation rather than simple repetition.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thought I would add this link AWD00041gt Marie's comments here are just right and a good example of very helpful notations.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia I would just like to mention something re comments on pages. In the past when tagging diaries, some of the pages have been really very faint and difficult to read but most of the time by using the Chrome Visual Filter, I have been able to transcribe the words etc. Therefore, with the pages being particularly faint, I made comments in the comments box accordingly, so that others and Historians could have an idea of what was written on these pages. Installing the Chrome Visual Filter is ideal, I would recommend it to people who do not use it.

Posted