War Diaries Talk

Meta-question regarding whether or not to hashtag a hashtag that has already been hashtagged on that page

• lthompson214 by lthompson214

As I went to the comment section to add a hashtag, I noticed that the page had already received the same hashtag from another user. Would it be useful/ appropriate for me to add a new comment with the hashtag, or should I not if I see that someone else has already commented with that hashtag for the page?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

There is no need to duplicate hashtags on the same page. If someone does a search for a particular hashtag, say #flares or #watersupply or #cricket, a duplicate hashtag would still take them to the same page.

However, if you feel that you have a relevant comment to add on the same topic by all means type it in the box without a hashtag. It will still be seen by a researcher, and by not using the hashtag you have a few more letters for your comment! So it's a win-win. As an example, on this page to the left, there are already two hashtags for #weaponsystem with several systems listed that appear on the page. If, however, another weapon system might be mentioned that no one yet listed, such as a minnenwerfer, you could just add minnenwerfer in a comment without another #weaponsystem hashtag.

Also, if you do place a duplicate hashtag on a page, don't worry about it. It does no harm.

Posted