War Diaries Talk

same man two ranks?

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

On this page (and also on the previous nominal roll-page of this battery) one finds a a/bdr Broomhead W.H. and a gunner Broomhead H. with the same servicenumber L25756. Or should Broomhead W.H. have servicenumber L25808 (Lo1WW)?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

It's frustrating when the author or the typist makes a mistake, isn't it? Something like this lets us see just how much computers have made record keeping both easier and more accurate.

But to answer your question. It's hard to tell here if Gunner Broomhead was promoted and his old rank not removed, or if they are two different people. It's made more difficult by the fact that one is noted as H. and the other as W.H. Are they different or was the W. accidentally omitted? It's impossible to know for sure.

I think that we need to stick with tagging everyone as the name appears in the diary. We can't be sure, at this distance, which record is the correct one. However, the notes you've been leaving in the Comments box are helpful in pointing out possible errors. That's about the best we can do.

What I find interesting about this particular page is that the right-hand column is in near-perfect alphabetical order while the left-hand column doesn't seem to have any order at all. Are they all like that?

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Cynthia, the left-hand column is also more or less in alphabetical order when you consider the ranks. It's not perfect, but nearly.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Oh, I see that now. I didn't think to look at the ranks. Thanks!

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Tagging the nominal roll of the C bty I must confess you are right about the left-hand column being a total alphabetical mess. 😉

Posted