War Diaries Talk

Annotated grid references - when are they not?

• deehar by deehar

I don't understand the difference between grid references and annotated grid references. Can someone explain ? It seems to require a lot of extra input to make the distinction.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

My understanding of this is as follows:

If you annotate written work or a diagram, you add notes to it, especially in order to explain it.

(indicates documents where there is other handwritten information). i.e #annoted #gridrefences – will indicate grid reference information. Same for #annotated #mapreferences

I use the tag #annotated #gridreference and #annotated #mapreferences when they are on orders/reports etc.

On the diary pages there are tags for the grid references - showing the boxes. There is also a tag for the map sheet references. Therefore, on diary pages I do not use the comments #annotated.#gridreference or #annotated #mapreference.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to deehar's comment.

Using the hashtags #annotated #gridreferences is just a way of indicating that there grid references on the page, such as orders, where they cannot be tagged with the standard tags as they can on a diary page.

There are researchers out there who are really interested in these types of details.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

OK. I see that these hashtags are not to be used on diary pages. And the hashtags #gridreferences #diagram #sketch in reports and orders are always preceded by #annotated..

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to deehar's comment.

Maps, sketches and diagrams don't necessarily need to be preceded by #annotated. The idea of #annotated was really intended to highlight those sketches, etc. that have additional notations that help explain the sketch itself or the situation surrounding it.

So, a sketch in a Royal Engineers diary of a bridge truss might be just that without anything particularly noteworthy added to it. This would not require the #annotated hashtag. On the other hand, with a barrage map that has notations such as "Barrage fired in support of operations by XYZ Battalion on 28 May" or "Barrage scheme for right brigade of ABC Artillery Group under the command of Gen. So-and-So" #annotated could be useful to researchers.

When grid references appear in documents where the grid reference tag cannot be used--reports, orders, or signals--noting that they are included can also be helpful.

Posted