War Diaries Talk

Eagle eyes needed!

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

The two signatures at the bottom of this post are completely defeating me. Anybody with better eyes able to make them out?

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Beautiful signatures - but illegible!

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

They may appear more legible as the diary pages go on. Could not even hazard a guess.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

The one on the left looks like it might be Alexander. LFWW shows several Lt. Col.s by that name, and one is in the ASC but his name is Algernon Wilfred so that doesn't match up.

The one on the right looks like the end of it might be tuttle or something like that. I think the swoopy line is meant to also cross the t's. Otherwise, the last three letters could also be lle.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than this. Just waking up just after 6 am.

Posted

Thanks everybody! I think Alg. for Algernon might be part of the left-hand one. And I also think tuttle or shuttle for the right, but it's proving impossible to match that to anybody. One of those situations where I'll have to hope to encounter a more legible version later on, as Marie says.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

T Alg Earle is my guess

Posted

Might be Thomas Algernon Earle. LFWW lists a Lt.Col. by that name, but he was in the Lancashire Hussars. It's a bit hard to make the leap from there to 31st Divisional Motor Transport, but I suppose it's possible.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Col. Thomas Algernon Earle: I did a bit more research into this query - did not connect him at first with the Diary because like Cynthia, I had his name connected with the Lancashire Hussars. (He was also part of the English Peerage). (Don’t suppose there are many men with that name).

Then when looking at the entry after the signature saw he was signing, OC 31st Division DMT.

Researched 31st Division. There is an entry for The Lancashire Hussars, part of the 31st Division. So I think this is the connection to him. Link:

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/31st-division/

See under Divisional Mounted Troops – If you search using Control F, (find) putting Lancashire in the search box, top right hand corner - it will bring up 5 entries on the page for Lancashire.

The other Captain on the right hand side (name unreadable) is signing CO 31st Divisional Cyclists Coy.
    Col. Thomas Algernon Earle is signing as OC 31st Division DMT.

That was a good guess by 141Dial34

Posted

Good work, Marie. I didn't think to see if the Lancashire Hussars were part of the 31st Division. And it's such an easy thing to look up, too!

Posted

Excellent! Thanks everybody!

Posted