War Diaries Talk

Google maps

• josiepegg by josiepegg

Is anyone else having problems with the Google map box? I have been getting a grey box with the logo in the bottom corner. Did all the usual cache clearing etc. Yesterday it gave me Equatorial Guinea! Today it will only recognise Poperinge. Getting the same problem with Google Chrome and internet explorer

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

No problem with the Google Map box today. Using Windows 10 and Chrome. If I have issues with the map box I sometimes reload the page or sign out and sign in again.

Posted

• josiepegg by josiepegg

Tried all that! I have recently downloaded Adobe Digital Editions and wondered if that was interfering in some way

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to josiepegg's comment.

I don't know for sure if the new Adobe program is to blame, but it's a possibility. I haven't had any issues today with Windows 10 and Firefox, but the last time I did both Windows 10 and Firefox had just done big upgrades. At that point it worked with Chrome until Firefox did another upgrade. New software seems to cause issues with the geolocator.

You might try leaving a message in the Zooniverse forum at zooniverse.org/talk; try the Troubleshooting section. Otherwise, I'll leave a note for Rob; he knows far more about the workings of OWD than I do.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I wouldn't have thought Adobe would have anything to do with it, but certainly most of our issues seems to occur when various browsers or google themselves have done some kind of update. My experience is that it usually rights itself within a day or two, and certainly I don't have any issues with the place tag this morning. Let me know if it's still not working for you, though, Josie, and I'll see if there's anything Zooniverse can do.

Posted

• josiepegg by josiepegg

It's still not working. I get a blue screen and when I zoom out it is the Gulf of Guinea! I have also recently updated McAfee so might that be causing problems?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

It's possible, I suppose, but I feel like it must be something else. You're getting the same issue with every browser? I'm sure you've already tried this, but what happens if you type in something like Arras and press enter - does it just fail to register?

Posted