War Diaries Talk

Bartholemew

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Can't find this Brigade Major C.W. BartholEmew who signed the divisional Artillery Order. I searched for BartholEmew and BartholOmew but I only found a brigadier general William Henry Bartholomew.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I tried every way I can think of to spell Bartholomew by changing the vowels and taking out the h without any luck. I googled him, checked at the National Archives, and the CWGC site, although I didn't try a lot of different spellings there. I searched on Lives using Barthol* and Bartol* and didn't find him. A lot of sailors named Bartolo, but no C.W. Bartholomew or Bartholemew.

Part of the problem may be that a Brigade Major was not necessarily a Major. I've seen signatures of Brigade Majors when the man was actually a captain, but I searched without using any rank at all.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Ref query concerning the name Bartholemew.

There are two people with this name on the following link: i.e. Major W H Bartholemew HQ - 5th Divisional Artillery and a Captain A W Bartholomew. (List of Names Referred to in Despatch Dated 8th Oct 1914. General Headquarters Staff). Link: https://ukga.org/ww1/28942-mid.html

I am posting this link because it has many names which may be useful when researching.

Besides HQ Staff, It also contains name for the following:- RFC, Household Cavalry, Dragoon Guards, Hussars, Lancers, RHA, RFA, Many Brigades, RGA, RE, Many Battalions, ASC, RAMC, AVC,and Chaplains.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I can't find him either. A W Bartholomew seems like he might be a possibility - I suppose the 'C' in the signature could possibly be an 'A', although it's a bit of a stretch.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to ral104's comment.

I thought that A. W. might be a possibility, too, but on the diary page it looks pretty clear that it is C. W.

Posted