War Diaries Talk

cpt Brown A.D.L.

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Is A.D.L. an abbreviation or are they initials?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I think they are initials, although I can't find him in Lives. I tried several different searches and found an officer A.D. Brown, but no A.D.L. Brown. He could have been attached to the 1st King's Own Regiment; I didn't find any officer that came close there.

The Long, Long Trail lists A.D.L. as an abbreviation for Assistant Director of Labour. That doesn't seem to fit at all.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I notice that the Author does not give the initials of another Captain and Lt. mentioned. As Cynthia says
    there is an abbreviation list for WW1 which shows A D L - Assistant Director of Labour. This Link is http://www.researchingww1.co.uk/ww1abbreviations

Also there are more than 1, King's Own Regiments i.e.

King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment/King's Own Scottish Borderers/King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

I made the assumption that it was the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment because that battalion was part of the 12th Brigade, which goes with the 12th Field Ambulance.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

And that regiment is the only one that belongs to the 4th division, being the division of the 12th Field Ambulance

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think the assumption that they're talking about the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regt is correct. As for the ADL...it could be initials, although it's a slightly odd position to put them in. It might perhaps also be an award of some kind, but I have no idea what.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Don't think ADL as Assistant Director of Labour would have been current at the date of the dairy either, and a captain a bit too low in rank for an assistant director role.

Posted