War Diaries Talk

Use of Title tool - all lines in one or multiple?

• dcortesi by dcortesi

Referring specifically to this casualty report: https://www.operationwardiary.org/#/classify/59539e0e9d936f003e004059
    but in general, when the title of a report is on two lines, as here,

1st Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Detailed statement of Casualties during the month of February 1918

How should the title tool be used? Put the whole text of both lines in one Title? Or two Titles, one per line?

Also referring to that report, there is a date on each line, should there be a date tag for each?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Your link https://www.operationwardiary.org/#/classify/59539e0e9d936f003e004059

is bringing up a report for the diary of the 17th Btn Royal Fusiliers.

Posted

I would have entered as the Reference for the report as 1st Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Then as the Title - Detailed Statement of Casualties during the Month of February 1918.

I tagged this diary and I have a note saying it was headed "Detailed Statement of Daily Strength, and Casualties etc for 1-15 Feb 1918.

If this is the page I would then have entered the Title as- Detailed Statement of Daily Strength, and Casualties etc for 1-15 Feb 1918 and the date - 1-15th Feb 1918.

In the comment box would have made the comment:- a monthly #casualty statement for the Month of Feb 1918, including Daily Strength etc. See What to Tag List: entry as under:-

#casualty - some diaries do not include casualty lists within the main pages, but include them as monthly reports. This can make it difficult to tag the names included in them. In these cases, please hashtag the page as a monthly #casualty list so we can find it again and make sure we do record the names later.

If names are mentioned would tag them under the Person Tag. If no names mentioned just casualties figures would enter in the Comment box of the page say as an example

#casualty list 1 killed, 2 wounded, 3 died of wounds, 4 missing, 5 wounded or missing and give the dates. Hope you can understand this - As I cannot see the diary page you are referring to.

PS Here is the link for the What to Tag List: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000j/discussions/DWD0000d05

Posted

• dcortesi by dcortesi

This link, copied from the address bar of the page I'm working on, when I drop it into a new Chrome window, opens my casualty report page: https://www.operationwardiary.org/#/classify/59539e0e9d936f003e004059
    I don't know if I pasted it wrong above, or what. What is the correct way of getting a llnk to a specific diary or report page?

I would have entered as the Reference for the report as 1st Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

OK I didn't realize "Reference" could be used that way, in the Field Guide it just says "So that the report could be linked to the short entry in the diary page it was given a reference or appendix number."

Posted

If you go to your Profile page it will show your last ten diary page entries. Choose the page you want and at the top of that Profle page you will find the page link.

Also if you have put a comment in the comment box of your diary page it will appear in the Talk Section. Your name will appear underneath if you have made a comment on that page. You can find the link from this also.

I forgot to mention in the comment box you can also show the Strength Figures if they are stated in the report. If the Author states Ration Strength and Trench Strength but does not say Unit Strength - I would enter Trench Strength as Unit Strength. By the way I may have entered these comments in the box when I tagged the diary page.

PS I have also entered in the Reference, if there is one, Appendix ? - 1 Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

I don't know how the incorrect link is coming up for you. Actually it is link to a Report for the 17th Royal Fusiliers which I am just about to tag. 😃

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Marie, dcortesi's link does not work; it only takes you to your own current Classify page.

@dcotresi The best way to use the Title tool in this case would be to tag only the part that says Detailed Statement of Casualties during the month of February 1918.

The Reference tool is really to tag any reference on the report, such as if it says Appendix A or some such notation, that refers back to the diary for the same month.

The Date tool is best used for the date when the report was compiled or issued. On Reports, this usually occurs at the end of the report, but in this case you can also tag the February 1918 in the title with Date tag as well. Tagging the date of each casualty is not necessary as it is actually the date of the report itself we want.

Any hashtags you wish to add in the Comments box are welcome, but you are not required to put anything there at all. And if someone else has already added a hashtag, such as #casualty, there is no need to duplicate it.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions you have about tagging and hashtags.

Posted