War Diaries Talk

date

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I intend to tag all the dates although they overlap. Is that allright? P.S. I did this already before, but it was never so extreme

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I would tag 1 January at the top, then go down to 2 Jan., 3 Jan., 4 Jan., 5 - 7 Jan. For the group that starts 7 Jan. to 13 Jan., I would tag the first line as 7 Jan. and then skip down to the line that starts "Repair to M.T.M.B..." and put the 13 Jan. just under that line, so that the line on the date tag touches the bottom of that line of the diary. Then finish with the 14 Jan. and 15 Jan.

I think it is okay to omit those dates that show the end of a section's work detail, such as where it says 1.1.17-7.1.17 near the top, because the sections are just part of the entire field company. Our project is set up to capture the dates when an entire unit is in a place, but breaking it down to each section is unnecessary.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Image AWD0003u1j Help, I am desperately searching a way to tag these dates. Maybe I could each time tag the first date of each specified period?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Eric I would just tag the dates as the Author shows them- they must have been doing things on different dates. i.e.

1st/2-3rd/4th/5-10th/7-14th/11-16th/11-24th/12-19th/19-25th/20-24th/18th/20-25th.

I do not know the month or year for your diary page, so I could only put the part of the date in, and delete the month or year from the calendar when entering the dates.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

I think tagging the first date is okay, as the data will be very confusing to sort out if you tag each one where they are out of order.

This is a similar situation to the first page in this thread, where tracking the details of each section is less necessary than tracking the activities of the field company as a whole.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Actually, tagging each date or date range doesn't make much difference to the data, and in this case, because there's no clear pattern to the entries, it might just be the easiest way to do it. The important thing is that activities and so on are assigned to the correct date or date range - if the dates appear out of order, it's easy enough to just sort them later on.

I agree with Cynthia's approach for the first page, though. There there is more order to the dates, so it's easier to group all the ones which cover a particular range of days.

Posted