War Diaries Talk

S.A. section of the trenches

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

3/3-1916 Does S.A. stands for South African? Not probably, because according to the Long, long trail the South African Army only arrived in France in April 1916.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I don't know. If the Long, Long Trail says they arrived in April 1916, and your diary page is dated March 1916, it might be possible.

The 5th Division had a pioneer battalion from the Argyle & Sutherlanders, but that would likely be abbreviated A.S.

The only other thing I can think of is Small Arms, but that doesn't make any sense.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Maybe it's just the name of a sector, because further on they also talk about a C sector and a S.A. sector.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think you're right, Erik - it must be the name of a sector. The South Africans were still in Egypt in March, 1916.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to ral104's comment.

Rob, on March 22th the diary mentions this S.A. sector again as "J2 (late S.A.)".

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

It feels like it must be the abbreviation of a unit holding the sector, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I can't think what it might have been! On the hand, it might not have been - J*2 doesn't seem like a unit abbreviation, so perhaps the prior designation of S.A. was just some kind of code.

Posted