War Diaries Talk

20 Labour Btn

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

On this page and on previous pages I always tagged this as "Other Unit", being 20 men from the Labour Btn. But is that corect?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

An Article on the Labour Battalion.

The labour units expanded hugely and became increasingly well-organised. However, despite adding large numbers of men from India, Egypt, China and elsewhere, there was never enough manpower to do all the labouring work required. The total number of men engaged on work in France and Flanders alone approximated 700,000 at the end of the war, and this was in the labour units alone. In many cases the men of the infantry, artillery and other arms were forced to give up time to hard effort when perhaps training or rest might have been a more effective option.

Link: http://www.1914-1918.net/labour.htm

PS I would have tagged them as Other Unit also.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, Erik. You're right to tag them as an Other Unit.

The Labour Corps itself was formed in 1917, but prior to that there were various other units formed to carry out construction and movement of supplies. Among them were several Royal Engineer labour battalions, one of which I assume is being referred to here.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Searching google I found this link about a 20th labour Battalion http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/sherwood-foresters-nottinghamshire-derbyshire-regiment/ Could it be this battalion given the fact that the author always writes 20 labour btn.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

No, I don't think it is the same battalion. The Long, Long Trail link states the Sherwood Foresters 20th Labour Battalion did not form until May 1916, and your diary page is dated December 1915.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think your original assumption that it's 20 men from an RE labour battalion is correct, Erik. There were only 12 RE labour battalions formed.

Posted