War Diaries Talk

172nd Coy

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I assume the 172nd Coy - elsewhere called the 172nd Mining section - is not a part of the 59th Field Coy. But is its official name 172nd Tunnelling Company? Image AWD0003tyz On March the 13th the diary mentions that this Co is no longer recorded in the diary.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

There is an article here about the 172nd Coy:

The 172nd Tunnelling Company was one of the tunnelling companies of the Royal Engineers created by the British Army during World War I. The tunnelling units were occupied in offensive and defensive mining involving the placing and maintaining of mines under enemy lines, as well as other underground work such as the construction of deep dugouts for troop accommodation, the digging of subways, saps (a narrow trench dug to approach enemy trenches), cable trenches and underground chambers for signals and medical services

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/172nd_Tunnelling_Company

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Yes, It is the 172nd Tunneling Company. The article Marie posted states that it was one of several tunneling companies formed in February, 1915, so it seems reasonable that by mid-March it would be keeping its own records and diary.

I don't think we have had any diaries from tunneling companies. I wonder if, like the Tank Corps diaries, they fall under the administrative diaries.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to cyngast's comment.

It looks like they came under Army Troops. I'm not certain if that means we'll see any in the current battalion level diaries or not. David might well know more.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Could it be that they are already preparing the mines for the battle of Messines?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

No, the 172 Coy wasn't involved in that effort, Erik. In fact, I don't think the work on those mines began until the very end of 1915.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Mines in the Battle of Messines comprised a series of underground explosive charges, secretly planted by British tunnelling units beneath the German 4th Army lines near the village of Mesen (Messines in French, historically used in English) in Belgian West Flanders during the First World War.

The mines were detonated at the start of the Battle of Messines (7–14 June 1917), creating 19 large craters.
    As part of allied operations in the Ypres Salient, British mining against the German-held salient at Wijtschate near Messines had begun in spring 1915.

Co-ordinated by the Royal Engineers, the mine galleries were dug by the British 171st, 175th and 250th Tunnelling companies and the 1st Canadian, 3rd Canadian and 1st Australian Tunnelling companies, while the British 183rd, 2nd Canadian and 2nd Australian Tunnelling companies built dugouts (underground shelters) in the Second Army area

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mines_in_the_Battle_of_Messines_(1917)

Posted