War Diaries Talk

Private Butt or Burt

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Any idea why I can't find this soldier on the CWGC website?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I don't know. I've searched for the entire month of April, 1919, in both Belgium and France, without putting in a name or regiment. The closest I came up with is Driver Harold Budd of the Royal Army Service Corps, but the CWGC gives his date of death as 6 April. He is buried at Terlincthun British Cemetery in Wimille north of Boulogne. They also give his number as 240880. I found him on Lives https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/587252 where his number is given as T4/240880.

Other than this, it would appear that there are no burial records for this man.

Posted

Found this Image AWD0003rf2 . But the private with servicenumber M2/033109 is Bullock Joseph?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Erik, The image mentions death maybe due to Syncope not drowning. Syncope refers to a sudden loss of consciousness often accompanied with collapse, more commonly known as a blackout or faint. Syncope is caused by a lack of blood or oxygen to the brain.
    #medical #syncope

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

I don't know if you can ever locate him. It seems that this poor man's records are either missing or confused with someone else's records.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

I've sent an email to the CWGC, maybe they know why he is not in their records.

Posted

I got news from the CWGC. The reason we didn't find him is that, according to the CWGC database, he died on 13/02/1919. He is buried in Theux communal cemetery. Theux was also the location of tNĀ°61 Casual Clearing Station were the post-mortem examination took place. The CWGC sent me the following link: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/481418/butt,-/ By the way, the CWGC has a brand new website

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

So they do - it was still the old one when I looked at it yesterday!

I guess from the post-mortem report that a much earlier date of death is quite plausible. I wonder if the 13/02/19 was when he was reported missing. It looks like they made a mistake with the service number in the report.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

That was a quick response! I'm glad they could answer your question about what happened to him.

I, too, was surprised by the new website this morning while searching for a man from the 1/DCLI.

Posted