War Diaries Talk

ration strenght

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

What is ration strenght? Is it the same as "unit strenght"? The previous month (Januari) it was about the same figure except the first days of the month when it was about 53/54. And who's the cpt who signs the report?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Ration Strength: Here is an answer from Ral concerning Ration Strength discussion, posted a year ago.

“The trench strength here is the number of men who would be involved in any action, while the ration strength is the total number of men they had to feed, including the non-combatant roles, like the Medical Officer, quartermaster, etc. I also haven't come across this in the diaries yet, but I think I would tag the trench strength in this case, as it's that which really determines the effectiveness of the battalion in its current role”.
    Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000h/discussions/DWD00016pa

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm not sure what the difference is between ration strength and unit strength. I've left a message for Rob for more input.

I can tell you that the ration strength listed on this form is just for the workshop portion of the supply column.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I thought the ration strength was the figure for the men in the Btn who they were feeding at the time. when other men maybe away training elsewhere, attached to other units for a time, casualties etc and not on the strength at that time Maybe Unit strength is when the Battalion was up to strength., Probably Ral may have the answer as you say.

Posted

That is what ration strength is. That number has to be kept up to date as it affects how many rations are delivered to the unit each day.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Ration strength is exactly what Cynthia and Marie say - the number of mouths the unit had to feed. The distinction between that an unit strength is sometimes a little difficult to work out, but as a rule I would assume unit strength refers to everybody in the unit, including those who might be detached elsewhere (who would not be included in the ration strength).

Trench strength, which you might also come across (although not in an RASC diary), was the frontline strength of the unit - how many men were manning the forward positions.

The captain may be WJ Woakes, although it's hard to be sure.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to ral104's comment.

I have my doubts about the captain's name you suggest, because one can see always a dot at the beginning of the name. But I do agree with the initials W.J. Image AWD0003rep

Posted

It's Capt. W. F. Nisbet. I recognized it from tagging other diaries of this company and checked in my notes.

Erik, good idea to post a second page with his signature. That's the one where I recognized it.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Right that will be it, I can just tag him on this last form. Is not in LWW1 though (I used all kinds of combinations of * and ? with possible letters) nor in The National Archives.

Posted

I remember now that I searched and searched for him, too, and couldn't find him.

Posted