War Diaries Talk

Is there a way to turn the pages into negative images ?

• emuser by emuser

might help when writing is faint but I could not see any way to do it?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Help for Faint Pages:

don't think you can turn the pages into negatives.

Here is a suggestion for you when reading faint pages it is very useful especially when zooming into the pages.

Help for reading faint pages Chrome contrast tool. (Details for unloading it on following link):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sheen/mopkplcglehjfbedbngcglkmajhflnjk

If you use this Chrome tool, it will appear in the top right hand corner of your screen. When you put the mouse pointer over this red coloured circle, it will show the message - "Apply Visual Filter" Hope this is of help to you this Chrome contrast tool link.

PS If you look at the Discussion Board/Mess Hall - there is a Useful Tips Section.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to emuser's comment.

I don't know about turning pages into negatives, but I don't think so. Our other moderator will know more about that. I'll let him know you've asked.

I do know that many of our volunteers find those Chrome extensions very helpful for making out faint writing. If it's just too difficult to make out, though, you can also just leave the hashtag #faint in the Comments box and move on to the next page. It's the nature of this project, which is so large in scope, that we won't be able to capture information from every page of every diary. Some are just not legible. We are getting most of them, though.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

In Picasa you can (could) do it. You save your "negative" page in the "talk page" and than you can open it in Picasa and with one of the tools (the greenish tab) you can turn a negative page into a "positive" one.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you for the help, Erik.

I'm sure that Rob will have some input when he's available. I know he's been working extra days at his job for about a month now, but he'll be back when that goes back to normal.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'm afraid I don't have anything to add which hasn't already been covered. The chrome contrast tool Marie mentions can be useful. I haven't tried Erik's suggestion, but it seems like a sensible thing to try if you want to produce the negative of a diary page.

But as Cynthia says, some entries are just going to be unreadable on screen. Using the #faint hashtag will help us identify these and it should be possible to go back to the original paper copies later on to see if it's easier to make them out that way.

Posted