War Diaries Talk

Divisional Troops 28 Brigade Royal Field Artillery. Includes amount of ammunition fired Oct-Dec 1914 by 27 Brigade Royal Field Artillery

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    Just a brief comment but when classifying this diary the page number at the foot of the page shows as NaN. When I look at it through my profile it gives the correct page number.

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted

• deehar by deehar

Same with 14 Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion East Surrey Regiment (1 Aug 1914 - 31 Dec 1914). I assumed something had gone wrong with the original files. I don't know if the page number assigned at classification is the "correct" page number until I reach the end!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Something did go wrong with the page numbers for this entire batch of diaries. They all say NaN. The last I heard we will just have to live with it, at least for now.

However, as Mike says, you can get the correct page number from your profile version of the page. That's not always a convenient fix, though, as the diary page numbers for each unit are cumulative. So if you are working on the first section of a diary that is split into several sections, the numbers in your profile are the actual page numbers, but if you are working on the second section, the page numbers carry on after the end of the first section.

For example, I've been working on the 1st East Surreys diaries. The first section began with mobilization in August 1914 and ended in Dec. 1914 with page 186. The second section picks up in January 1915, and in my profile the first page shows as page 187.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

The last diary I worked some of the profile pages did not give the correct number. Some profile pages had duplicate numbers. This was the diary of 1 Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. On the Select a Diary page it said the diary had 172 pages, but when I finished it, it had gone onto 176 pages.The last profile page number being 756. On my Profile page it states I did 172 of 172 pages.

The first page I tagged gave the Profile page as 585. The last page I tagged gave profile number 756. The numbers seem to be out somehow.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Thanks, Marie, for letting us know.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia, with further regard to the diary of the 1 Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment'

On diary profile page 743 the Author stated on the 10th November 1918 "End of War Diary" and on profile page 744 dated the 11-15 November he stated "Start of Peace Diary" .

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

That's interesting. I've never seen that before!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Re. the page numbers issue - I'll chase this up with Zooniverse again. They had said they were going to fix it.

Posted