War Diaries Talk

errors

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

When I compare the names from the diary with the names in LFWW (and/or in CWGC) I find many differences: exchanged numbers, missing figures, mispelled names, a wrong initial, ...

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Yes, there are a lot of differences from one source to another. Remember that all this record-keeping took place without computers. It was all hand-written and handwriting is easy to misinterpret. An a looks like an o; a 2 looks like a 5. Also, if a clerk spent all day copying information from rolls onto medal cards, it would be easy to transpose digits or lose one's place. I have found a couple of cases in the NA records where it appears that two men have been made into one!

Also, in the case of casualty lists, I assume the names came off a list sent to the unit HQ from the field ambulance. If that is the case, there is lots of room for error in those conditions, and a tired or busy adjutant may have just recorded the list from the field ambulance rather than check all the names against the unit nominal roll.

If outside records don't match the names in the diary, tag them as they are written in the diary. After all, we are supposed to "tag what we see."

Posted