War Diaries Talk

report or signals pad

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I suppose To DA means adressed to divisional artillery. I don't think it is a signals pad, rather some notes to make a report later on.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, it looks like these must have been their communications to the divisional artillery HQ. I'd be tempted to tag this as a diary page, given the way it's laid out and the nature of what it contains.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I wonder if this page is from the 22nd brigade. At first I thougth that 31st (in the margin left) was a date, but September counts only 30 days and actually it says "31st to DA". So, maybe 31st could be the 31st battery mentioned at 8.59am. At the bottom of the page "Batteries to fire on Hulluch ..." seems to be an order from the 7th DA.

I can tag this as a diary page, but I have to guess the date, somewhere in September 1915.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I thought the reference to the 31st was probably a battery number, but the 31st battery wasn't usually part of 22 Bde - perhaps they were attached as part of the divisional artillery role. 35th battery was a howitzer battery - a regular part of 22 Bde.

It's probably still worth tagging this as a diary page, even if the date is just month and year. You could tag it as a report, alternatively, but you'd lose some of the detail.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Article Link: 31st Battery RFA 31st Battery,R.F.A. was a Regular Army unit and in 1913 it was serving with XXXVII Brigade,R.F.A., at Woolwich. The other two batteries in the Bde were the 35th & 55th. They were all converted into Howitzer batteries and the Bde was retitled XXXVII(Howitzer)Bde,R.F.A. and transferred to the 4th Division in Feb 1915, before moving to the 7th Division, where the Bde was eventually broken up. 31st(Howitzer) Battery was to serve throughout the remainder of the war with XXXV Bde, R.F.A.

22 Brigade Royal Field Artillery was part of the 7th Division.

Posted